Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Coffee Cup Cookie with your Cup of Coffee?

A few years ago, during a stressful and difficult time, I used to take the kids for a small walk, a little fresh air and one really great cup of coffee. If I was lucky there was still a cupcake or two in the case from The Two Red Hens. Occasionally, a friend and I would meet at Tastebuds for a moment to catch up, without the kiddos tagging along. Kirk's kind word and friendly smile was (and is) such a welcome break from the world swirling around outside.

When I saw this excellent set of coffee cup cookies, I include those on my bucket list to create, once my kitchen was inspected. The inspection over and the renovation complete, at last I tackled this set of cookies! 

First step was to create the pattern. I printed out the picture and used it as a guide to cut out a foil shape. For the initial set of cookies, I cut them out by hand. Traced the foil on the cookie dough with an exacto knife. It worked but the edges were a little raw. 

And that is why I have this post to share! I have read about making your own cookie cutter before but doubted there would be any suitable supplies in our small town. Good news, I was wrong.

Lowe's carries this "hanger tape" in the plumbing section. It is steel with a copper coating, no other finish on it. Just right for a homemade cookie cutter. At about $4 a roll, nice.

Now, I would suggest tacking the picture to a board and using nails to make a guide to bend the copper around. That would have been easier than free-hand. However, you can shape the cutter with a pair of needle nose pliers too.

 I cut the hanger tape with whatever that large black pair of cutters is called. My husband had them in the garage. And he is going to rivet the final product. Right now, I have taped it with regular ol' tape. Here's the gingerbread cookies: 


The roll of hanger tape is long enough to make several cookie cutters. The next set I am planning for Tastebuds is an ornament based on this Christmas decoration.  I've made these before and love the shape and size so much! Definitely this is a keeper.  

It's been a few years since I baked these for my sister's birthday. My go-to cookie icing is Wilton's Royal Icing, but for some reason that year, I decided Toba Garret's glaze was the way to go. The glaze is nice and shiny but incredibly difficult to pipe. Carpal Tunnel difficult.  Looking forward to trying this again with regular Royal Icing.


If you're ever in downtown Salisbury, stop by Tastebuds. Maybe I'll see you there :-)

UPDATE: This year's design with the ornament cookie cutter:


No comments:

Post a Comment